From our daily mail:
"United Nations Platform for Space-based Information for Disaster Management and Emergency Response (UN SPIDER) April 2007 Updates
For those that were unable to access the April 2007 Newsletter we sentrecently it can now be downloaded from the UN SPIDER webpage: http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/unspider/index.html
Please forward the UN SPIDER Updates we have included below to colleagues who might benefit from receiving the information. If you wish to unsubscribe please reply to this e-mail and include UNSUBSCRIBE in the Subject line. If you would like to subscribe to this list please visit the followingwebsite: http://www.ungiwg.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/unspider We also maintain a Calendar of Events with upcoming Conferences, Meetingsand Events relevantto the area of space-based solutions for disaster management and emergency response. Check out:http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=h1a93vb3rk6ud1tvrequjsfk8s%40group.calendar.google.com News included in this edition:
1. The United Nations General Assembly agrees to establish the United Nations Platform for Space-based Information for Disaster Management and Emergency Response (SPIDER) as a Programme of the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs
2. ESRI - UC 2007 - UN Showcase - San Diego, California - 18 - 22 June 2007.
3. 2007 International Geohazards Week in ESRIN, Frascati, Rome (Italy) on 5-9 November 2007
4. Mekong from SPACE - The Mekong River Commission webpage now has an educational component "Mekong from Space".
5. National Research Council Report: Successful Response Starts with a Map: Improving Geospatial Support for Disaster Management.
6. Hurricane Data Portal. Check out NASA's Hurricane Portal which helps view and study hurricanes by utilizing various measurements by the NASA remote-sensing instruments.
7. Geoinformatics Forum Salzburg - Call for Symposium Participation - July 03-06, 2007
8. SWALIM Workshop - Potentialities and Limitations in the Use of Remote Sensing for Directing and Monitoring Environmental Change in the Horn of Africa – 12-13 June 2007
9. ISCRAM-TIEMS Summer School 2007 - Information Systems for Global Disaster Risks and Humanitarian Assistance - June 20 -27 2007
10. Implementation of the "Strengthening of a Municipal Information System for the Prevention of Disasters in Latin America and the Caribbean" by the Regional Disaster Information Center for Latin America and the Caribbean
11. Space and Information Technology for Disasters Risk Management: Seminar and Workshop, August 26 - September 07 2007.
Annex: Updates April 2007 (See attached file: UNSPIDERUpdatesApril2007.pdf) The Updates can also be downloaded from the UN SPIDER webpage @:http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/unspider/index.html
Associate ExpertOffice for Outer Space Affairs /
UN SPIDER United Nations Office at Vienna
Tel: +43-(1)-26060-4472Fax: +43-(1)-26060-5830